Thursday 15 May 2014

Rock My World by Julie Shackman



Ruby Cameron is an ambitious reporter for a local paper where she is fed scraps of news, and lives with a man whose “idea of living dangerously is to leave the heating on when we pop out to the shops”. But after catching her squeaky clean boyfriend in flagrante delicto she ups sticks and moves into her own small home, only to discover the ghostly presence of a cheeky rock star who becomes her confidant as the dynamics of her small town, and her feelings about her dashing new boss, begin to throw up more questions than she can answer. Will Ruby discover who she really is, and perhaps more importantly, who she wants to be?


Review


Thank you to Julie for sending me a review copy of Rock My World. As soon as I read the blurb for this book I had high hopes for it!

As soon as I started reading this book I got completely hooked, the whole concept of the story was so engaging I just couldn't put it down, I even had to stop myself from having sneaky reads of it in work! As soon as I stopped reading all I could think about was when I could read some more and what would be happening next. Even the cover was mesmerising, what I love is that it doesn't give anything about the novel away, so it makes you want to jump straight in.

I loved Ruby instantly, there was such a likable factor about her that just drew me in straight away and I felt a huge connection to her. I found myself willing her and Matt to get together through the whole book, if I was Ruby I don't think I could of held him at arms length for so long, ha!

Although I'm a 90's baby I love 80's rock music so all of the references to 80's rock bands are exactly my kind of thing, the songs that Julie mentions I knew so instantly started singing them to myself. I think even if I didn't know who the bands where it wouldn't of mattered because they don't make the story they are just an added bonus to see into the characters lives a little bit more and to bring them to life, but who hasn't heard of Bon Jovi and Fleetwood Mac?!

I don't want to give too much away but I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor after the HUGE twist in the story! 

I loved that this novel was a romance but with a heavy involvement of rock music, which you don't often get from this type of book. I think this would mean that it would appeal to a much wider audience and I would recommend anybody to read it! I for one cannot wait to read Julie's second novel!





Author Interview with Julie Shackman




Could you please tell me a little bit about Rock My World?
Ruby Cameron is an ambitious reporter for a local paper where she is fed scraps of news, and lives with a man whose “idea of living dangerously is to leave the heating on when we pop out to the shops”. But after catching her squeaky clean boyfriend in flagrante delicto she ups sticks and moves into her own small home, only to discover the ghostly presence of a cheeky rock star who becomes her confidant as the dynamics of her small town, and her feelings about her dashing new boss, begin to throw up more questions than she can answer. Will Ruby discover who she really is, and perhaps more importantly, who she wants to be?

When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?
I've always loved books from an early age and enjoyed creative writing at school. I don't think there wasn't ever a time I didn't want to be a writer!

How long does it take you to write a book?
"RMW" took around 6-8 months to write, but that included some editing and revisions.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I usually try to get out of the house when I'm writing and go to a local coffee shop. There are too many distractions at home! I get our sons off to school and then head off to write. I try to do a good couple of hours there, before returning home to type it up and knock it into shape.

How was your journey to becoming a writer? Easy or difficult? How long did it take?
Like many writers, it has been a long journey! I had two childrens picture books published years ago but have always wanted to write rom-coms. I just kept going, read lots, wrote lots and tried to stay positive!

Where did you get the idea for your book and for the characters such as Ruby and Matt?
I love music, especially rock and have to have music playing when I'm writing. The idea for "RMW" just came to me whilst I was listening to some music and then the character ideas started to form.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love reading; going for long walks and watching movies - especially rom-coms of course!

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book?
How sad I was going to feel when I wrote the words The End! I did feel like I had achieved something but at the same time, I got very attached to my characters and it was like saying goodbye to close friends.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I have been very delighted and touched by the lovely comments I've received about "RMW". The over-riding comments are that it made them laugh, it made them cry and that they developed a huge crush on Matt!

Is there a certain type of scene that’s harder for you to write than others? For example, love or action?
I think sometimes the action scenes can be a bit tricky, as you want them to be realistic but not over the top either.

What book do you wish you could have written and why?
One of my favourite novels is "Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe?" by the fab Hazel Osmond. Jack is a wonderful character - sexy, brooding and very Alpha-male. I would've loved to have written that one!

What do you think makes a good story?
I think as long as the author loves the story and loves their characters, it comes through and then the reader is swept along by it as well.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be an author/journalist.

What is your all time favourite book?
Again, it has to be "Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe?" by Hazel Osmond - Hazel isn't on commission for this, honest! It is just a superb rom-com.

What writing advice do you have for aspiring authors?
Read lots; write lots and don't give up! Keep going! If you want to be an author badly enough, it will happen!

What are you working on at the moment?
I'm just editing my second novel (also a rom-com) and am starting research on my third (also a rom-com).



No comments:

Post a Comment