Wednesday 25 June 2014

The Day of Destiny by Lavinia Collins


As Guinevere’s affair with Lancelot becomes public, Mordred forces Arthur’s hand and she is put to the pyre. Saved at the last minute by Lancelot, she is taken from Camelot to Joyous Guard, but before long Arthur gathers his armies to lay siege to the castle and begin a war that will threaten everything.



I absolutely adored the first two book’s in the Guinevere series so I was so excited when Lavinia kindly provided me with a copy of the final installment of the series!

I don’t know what I can say about this series that I haven’t already said but each book just gets better and better! I love this brand new take on a classic story and the strong female lead character is a refreshing new twist. I have fallen in love with Guinevere and how she deals with everything that happens in what is truly a man’s world, she has a strong personality which makes her just as powerful as the men in the story. I love her take on everything and how she deals with war and the physical and psychological pain that comes with it. We also get to see how she can love two people at the same time, I really loved the way Lavinia dealt with this in her writing and showed the emotion that comes with it.

I enjoyed this series much more than the original Arthur legends. The way Lavinia writes gives the story such depth and you feel all of the pain that the characters suffer and feel as if you are in the story with them. It is made so much more realistic than the original story and I think that is what gets you so hooked on it. I have never read a book that breathes the amount of real life into history the way that this does.

I cannot wait to see what Lavinia brings to us next, I know I will be the first in the hypothetical queue to read it! You don’t have to be a history lover or even have ever heard of the Arthur legends to read this book, I would recommend this to anybody that wants to read something a little different, an old story with a strong female character! I would give this book and the whole series all of the stars in the world if I could!



You can read my review of the previous in the Guinevere series, The Warrior Queen and A Champions Duty, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment