Monday 7 July 2014

Paper Towns by John Green


Quentin has always loved Margo Roth Spiegelman, for Margo (and her adventures) are the stuff of legend at their high school. So when she one day climbs through his window and summons him on an all-night road trip of revenge he cannot help but follow.

But the next day Margo doesn't come to school and a week later she is still missing. Q soon learns that there are clues in her disappearance . . . and they are for him. But as he gets deeper into the mystery - culminating in another awesome road trip across America - he becomes less sure of who and what he is looking for.



As I have said before and as most other people do, I adore John Green's writing! This is the third book I have read by him and it has been on my wish list for a while, I finally got it when my fiancĂ© bought me it for my birthday back in April so I couldn't wait to start reading it! John Green is one of my favourite authors so this review may be a little biased but he deserves it and all the hype that all of his books get. He is such a talented writer, he draws you in from the very first page, makes the characters so intriguing and the story so believable and wonderful.

I've seen a lot of criticism attached to this book with people saying it is the same as John Green's other novel Looking For Alaska and although it does have similar qualities, it is completely different. I can't decide which I love more but they are both amazing. John Green's books are not your typical YA/Chic-lit novels, they aren't just love story’s with breakups and teenage troubles. They each have something so much more that you don’t expect when picking up novels of this kind.

Paper Towns is a love story of a different kind and focuses mainly on the disappearance of Margo and the lengths that Q will go to, to find her. Although you do learn this from reading the blurb, the way John Green deals with and writes this is so intriguing and makes it impossible to put the book down! Although some parts of the book seem very far-fetched you can still imagine them happening, this is because of the description John puts into his writing, he describes everything in the book perfectly, the characters, the places, the feelings and emotions. He puts you right in the middle of the story and it is an amazing one!

The characters are different to any others that you would find outside of a John Green novel, he has such a unique way of inventing strange and interesting characters that you fall in love with instantly. My favourite character was definitely Quentin, closely followed by Ben, who puts the fun into what is essentially quite a serious story. I couldn't tell if I liked Margo throughout the story as obviously, she spends most of it missing, but at the end of the book you realise you shouldn't like her and I think that was what John wanted. She is built up throughout the story by Quentin so we see her through his eyes only.

John Green is one of the few authors that as soon as you finish their book you want to instantly flick back to the beginning and read again. All of his books carry messages that never leave your head! I am still recovering from Looking For Alaska and The Fault In Our Stars, both of which I read 3+ years ago!

This is a perfect summer read and I would definitely recommend this to anybody. If you haven’t read a John Green book yet, what are you waiting for? Get to your nearest bookshop or on Amazon right now!


I'm going to see The Fault In Our Stars on Thursday and I cannot wait! I have linked my review of that below if you would like to see what all the hype is about!

No comments:

Post a Comment