Monday 22 September 2014

The Voice in my Ear by Ken Newman



Layla is the kind of girls that gets under a guy's skin...literally.
Mere moments from a gruesome death, Zack Cole makes a deal with a mysterious stranger. To live, Zack reluctantly becomes the guardian of Layla, an exotic woman struggling under a terrible curse.

Despite a rocky start, Layla discovers an intimacy and passion with the cocky, womanizing Zack that transcends her dreadful curse. Determined that Zack will be hers, Layla uses her vast power to help him solve the mysteries surrounding his attempted murder, unaware that Zack is the target of a vicious band of outcasts on a deadly mission for God.




Thank you to Ken Newman for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for a review.

When I first started reading this book I had no idea what to expect, from the blurb, it sounds so strange and I have only read a handful of books about the supernatural before, all of which have been completely different. This one is the most obscure of them all but probably the best. 

I have to admit, a few pages in when I realised what the story was about I wasn't sure if it was going to be something I'd enjoy. I thought it might be a novel that you really need to think about and quite a challenging read, but it is not at all. I also had my doubts as to whether the concept of the story would actually work, from first impressions and when you realise what is going on it is hard to believe that it would work as a novel, but it definitely does!
It is brilliantly written but it is also an easy read that you can just glide through and it doesn't take much to be able to understand the story.

I liked that as well as the supernatural there was a horror element to the story too, with a few gorey parts which keeps the story exciting, as you are wondering if and when somebody will be killed. This makes this story so different to the others I have read and it is a very unexpected twist.

I love that although there are so many different characters, all of which have their own stories, they are all connected in some way. I love when author's do this rather than having stories run by themselves but with the same outcome. Layla and Larry are strange character's (for obvious reasons), but fit so perfectly into the story.
There is such a mixture of personalities within the characters, there is Zack who is just trying to do what he can to get his life back, then there is Marci who is out for what she can get, even if it means murder, Each character adds something to the story and the fact that none of them are the same keeps the story so exciting.

Ken Newman is a brilliant writer, his writing style gets you so hooked on the story and makes you feel connected and interested in each character's story, This novel fits into a few different genres, which means it is perfect for a wider audience and I can't tell you enough that you should get yourself a copy! I can't wait to see what Ken writes next.



No comments:

Post a Comment