Monday 29 September 2014

There Are No Men by Carol Maloney Scott



Divorced thirty-something Claire doesn’t know who’s in her dating pool—but she’s doing her best to avoid shark infested waters. Leaving her clueless and insensitive husband behind was a smart move after losing her fertility, but now she’s riding the wave of flying toupees, strange men in leather thongs and drunken nights in painfully impractical shoes. Claire desperately wanted to be a mother, but now she’ll settle for one middle aged man worthy of a second date.

After a long drought, men are flooding her shores and she’s drowning in choices. There’s Justin, the 25-year-old IT boy-genius with the GQ looks and cougar fetish, who won’t take ‘no’ for an answer. A woman would have to be a blind, lesbian nun not to fall for him, but he reminds Claire of her wasted youth. And then the charming but mysterious Dr. Nathan appears, but he’s cheating on her with his medical mistress—a demanding cardiology practice.

To further rock her boat, Claire’s ‘stable’ career in publishing has been tossed about by her floundering company’s launch of a new line of trendy, salacious books. Cookbooks aren’t selling these days, but erotica is flying off the shelves—and challenging Claire’s attitude about sex, work . . . and her tempestuous new life.

When her best friend convinces her to buddy up to the aspiring writer who just moved in across the street, Claire rejects the idea—he has already caught her in more than one embarrassing and scantily clad situation. Giving in to her friend’s nudging, she tries to ignore the details she discovers about him, including his hard rock night gig and his mesmerizing blue eyes, in the hopes his literary talents can pull her publishing house up from the bottom of the ocean.

Claire’s dilemma begs the question: Are there NO men or TOO MANY?




Thank you to Carol for sending a copy of this book to me for review.

I adored this book! I wasn’t really sure what to expect before I started reading it but t captured my attention from the very beginning and it was so addictive! I read this book in a few days because it was so hard to put down.

I have read a few books lately about internet dating but they have all been so different, I think it is such a good topic to write about as there are so many people doing it now, so it is kind of a part of most people’s lives. It has you laughing out loud, wanting to cry for Claire and wanting to scream at her to get her to see sense.

It is one of those books that you don’t know what is going to happen next, what I wanted to happen did actually happen in the end but you don’t know this will actually happen until the very last page (I almost let out an excited scream when I got my ending)!

I loved Claire, she was the perfect lead character for this type of novel, she was fun, crazy and clumsy but so real, although she was a 30-something, divorced woman I could relate to her so well and I think anybody could. She is such a likeable character to the point where with every bone in your body you are rooting for her to find Mr Right! Claire’s sausage dog Dixie was such a good addition to the story and made Claire the character she was, Dixie caused lots of laughs (at Claire’s expense) and allowed Claire to show her motherly side even though she didn’t and couldn’t have children herself. The characters of Jane, Mike, Rebecca were all so different but made the story so much better, hearing what they all had to say about Claire’s love life and dating disasters kept the story flowing. While Brandon and Justin were such lovely men and you just wanted Claire to see how they felt about her and choose one of them.
One character that I didn’t like at all was Nathan, at first he came across as a lovely, caring gentlemen, but he eventually started to make my skin crawl. He was so demanding, bossy and controlling towards Claire and the constant calling her ‘Sweetie’ bleh!!

I’m not going to say much more about this book because it is definitely worth a read, it will cheer you up and have you laughing out loud. If you're looking for a light hearted, funny story then this is the book for you! Although there are some sad issues like infertility it is not full of it and it makes the story what it is, so if this issue affects you maybe be a bit careful with this book, but there is a good outcome even besides this so you may still enjoy it. I am not a particularly quick reader but I felt like I flew through this because I was addicted to Claire and her story. I started to feel like I was living her life with her.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel to this book! Pleaseeeee Carol!







No comments:

Post a Comment