Monday 27 October 2014

Waiting for Prince Harry by Aven Ellis



Twenty-four-year-old Kylie Reed has always been a rule follower. Organized and cautious to a fault, her dreams for life are often filed away for future use—when she has a house, when she meets her future husband, when she has been at her visual display job at a chic Dallas boutique longer...Kylie always has a reason for living her life in the future, not in the present, and not living her life to the fullest and reaching her dream of becoming a fashion designer. 

The only exception to rules, of course, would be running away with Prince Harry—Kylie’s ideal man. A hot, fun ginger boy would be worth breaking all the rules for, of course. And Kylie is sure Harry just needs the right, centering woman to settle him down. But living in Dallas and not knowing Prince Harry make this a non-option.

Or does it?

Because when Kylie accidentally falls into the lap of a gorgeous ginger boy—yes, even more gorgeous than the real Prince Harry—all bets are off. Could this stranger be the one to show Kylie how to take a chance, to face her fears, and live in the present? And could this stranger be the Prince Harry she has been waiting for? Kylie’s life takes some unexpected twists and turns thanks to this chance encounter, and she knows her life will never be the same because of it..



Firstly, a massive thank you to Aven Ellis for gifting this book to me, I absolutely adored it! This is the second Aven Ellis novel I have read and when I think they can't get any better, each one I read I love more than the last. I read this book in a day and a half because I got hooked straight away.

I was intrigued by this book just from the cover, the title, straight away had me wondering what could possibly happen. Is Prince Harry in this book? How could Kylie be waiting for him? And of course it has the Union Jack on the front, so what’s not to love about the cover image?

I loved Kylie, she was a down to earth, clumsy, selfless, normal girl who was slightly OCD, had to live her life by rules and had to be organised with everything planned, even the decoration of her house in the future (which she doesn't have and isn't making any steps to get). When we first meet her she is completing a pop quiz (which she lives her life by) on her iPhone, whilst trying to avoid being set up with a groomsman, at her brother’s wedding, by her mum. She sees her chance and sneaks out of the wedding party, finding a quiet bar to grab a few moments to herself, that is until she gets caught in her dress and ends up in the lap of gorgeous Harrison, drenching him with wine in the process. Although she has a rule to never pick up a guy in a bar, after hours of chatting, Kylie knows Harrison could be the love of her life – her Prince Harry. He’s gorgeous, intelligent, caring, red-haired and generous and Kylie can’t just let him walk away, but she can't go against her rule, will this feeling be mutual and who is Harrison?
Although I loved Kylie I really wished she would stand up for herself sometimes, I saw a lot of myself in her when she let herself be told what to do and walked all over. Seeing her eventually stand up for herself made me very happy as I had been hoping she would, especially with her work colleagues, it actually made me think that I should be a little bit more like Kylie at times!

When we find out who Harrison is, we see Kylie struggle to handle the life she has been thrown into, we see the troubles it causes between Kylie and Harrison even though there is so much love between them, it does look like the power of his star status will take over and ruin their relationship. It gives us an insight to the celebrity world and what it is like for them trying to have a normal relationship, being bothered by press and fans everywhere you go and having to deal with reading things about yourself on the internet. I thought this was great because it is not something we would see and it makes you feel sorry for them, because it is completely different for us ‘normal’ people who can have a normal life, without having to worry about any of that.

Harrison is everything you want in a book boyfriend. Very much like Deke in Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista (although in no way did they look alike), he is caring, protective and you can see he likes Kylie a lot and will do anything to keep her around. I think there is a pattern emerging here with the guys in Aven’s books! I do hope there is!

Kylie and Harrison are the perfect couple, Kylie is afraid of the now and is incredibly planned for the future, whereas Harrison is living in the now and is afraid of his future. By them both having their issues they help each other and through this they are both able to face their fears. I also found it great that Kylie didn't know who Harrison was at first as it meant we got to see him as Harrison instead of Harrison the celebrity and she fell in love with who he really is.

This is another brilliantly written novel by Aven. She writes so effortlessly and gets you hooked within the first few pages. I loved that she put pop quiz questions at the beginning of every chapter, It was a great added bonus into Kylie’s life and we could see that she really does live her life by them, we also kind of see the answers being played out in each chapter and as you get further into the book you can guess which answer Kylie will choose. Aven has the ability to make me feel all warm inside just by adding one hugely romantic line into her book, this makes me adore her books so much more and remember them just because of a few lines. Cute, romantic lines make books for me!

I think everybody should go out and buy this book! I cannot recommend it enough! It is such a heart-warming, laugh out loud funny, romantic novel that you just can’t put down. I am very sad to be finished with Kylie and Harrison’s story as I feel that a part of me is still with them, however, Aven did tell me the other day that they do pop up in her new book The Definition of Icing, which is out in May, so I am definitely going to be reading that! I have Connectivity on my TBR so that will definitely be being pushed up the list as I don't want to part with Aven's writing just yet!

1 comment: