Wednesday 12 November 2014

Connectivity by Aven Ellis


Overachiever Mary-Kate Grant (who is indeed named after an Olsen Twin) has followed every rule to the letter to pursue her dream of working in TV programming. Ripping a page from the “hard work pays off” playbook, she takes an assistant level job at a Chicago sports network to break into the industry.
MK has no time or desire for a relationship right now—she is totally focused on her career and being independent, unlike the other women in her family.

But MK’s plans are run through the shredder when she finds herself working for William Cumberland, a British media mogul who made his fortune with Connectivity, a social media site. William blows into Chicago just like the winds off Lake Michigan and purchases the group of networks MK works for—and makes her his personal assistant in the process.

Suddenly MK finds her career plans in jeopardy. William makes her question everything she has ever thought and has the uncanny ability to see right through her. And for the first time in her life, MK finds herself not only questioning what she wants for her career but for her personal life as well…



Thank you to Aven Ellis for gifting this book to me. I have become addicted to Aven’s novels and this one was no different. I read this book in a day, as I have with pretty much all of Aven’s books, I just devour them. After reading all of Aven’s other books you can tell that this is her first novel, but it is not a bad thing, she has developed as a writer from this book to her others and you can see how this one led her into writing them. Having said that though this book is still brilliantly written and you can't help but love it!

Mary-Kate (MK) is an assistant working at a sports media company, which she hates, but it in the same building, so a step closer, to her dream job on Beautiful Homes Network. When William Cumberland, a British media mogul, takes over the company and makes MK his personal assistant, both of their lives change.

I loved MK, she was so down to earth, loyal, smart and you could so easily relate to her and she was SO clumsy, just like me! Learning that she was named after an Olsen twin took me right back to my childhood and made me instantly love her. There was nothing I didn't like about MK, she wasn't arrogant like you find in some girls in books and she wasn't selfish, she just wanted to do her job well and get her dream job. Also, even though she knows how rich and successful William is, she is not bothered about his money, she just loves him for the William he is away from being Mr Cumberland, successful business man. She reminded me a lot of Lucy from Aven’s other novel Waiting for Prince Harry (which I absolutely loved)!
Yet again Aven has written a gorgeous, smart, generous and kind male character in William who you fall in love with as quickly as MK does. I loved how he treated MK and how protective of her he was and it had me laughing out loud when he went into 'badass mogul' mode when standing up for MK.
didn't take to MK’s friends Reese and Emily at all, they never seemed to have a good word to say to MK and were always bringing her down. I could see that they were concerned about her but they didn't give her a chance to be happy. 

I love how Aven added some banter between Mary-Kate and William by having them call each other names and laugh over English and American words, like trunk/ boot, cell/ mobile and especially aluminium, that is something that makes me cringe when I hear Americans say it haha! Sorry!

This book is not your typical romance novel, it is about finding love in an unexpected place. I loved how although MK was being warned off William nothing stopped her, she wasn't being stupid, she just knew it was worth the wait and the disapproval of her friends. The way Aven has the characters really develop and get to know each other before anything happens is what I love about her books, she never has her characters rush into sleeping together.

I liked how Aven wrote William and his and MK's trip to London. She seemed to have done a lot of research into Britain and the British and wrote about it so well. Aven is a brilliant writer and you can’t help but get sucked into her novels, they are just so cute, heart-warming and you find yourself smiling while reading them. Her writing style is just so intriguing and engaging and she makes you have to carry on reading.

I am so sad that this is the last Aven Ellis book I have on my pile to read, but I can’t wait for her next novel to be released! If you are looking for a light-hearted, cute, funny, romantic read I would definitely pick up this book!



No comments:

Post a Comment