Wednesday 28 May 2014

You're The One that I want by Giovanna Fletcher


Maddy, dressed in white, stands at the back of the church. At the end of the aisle is Rob – the man she’s about to marry. Next to Rob is Ben – best man and the best friend any two people ever had.And that’s the problem.

Because if it wasn’t Rob waiting for her at the altar, there’s a strong chance it would be Ben. Loyal and sensitive Ben has always kept his feelings to himself, but if he turned round and told Maddy she was making a mistake, would she listen? And would he be right?

Best friends since childhood, Maddy, Ben and Rob thought their bond was unbreakable. But love changes everything. Maddy has a choice to make but will she choose wisely? Her heart, and the hearts of the two best men she knows, depend on it…



After how much I loved Giovanna's debut novel Billy and Me I have been waiting all year for her next novel to be released, so when I got my hands on it I couldn't wait to start reading straight away.

I adored this book! After reading Billy and Me I wondered how Giovanna could possibly top it with her next novel, but she has. You're The One That I Want is so well written and flows so easily, it had me up late at night and I actually had to force myself to put it down as I was up early for work the next day. I just felt like I had to carry on reading to see if what I wanted to happen was going to happen.

After just a few pages I was completely taken out of the real world and into Maddy, Ben and Rob's, they are all incredible characters that you can relate to straight away. I loved that the book follows the characters lives from when they are 9 to 27 years old, this makes it so easy to get to know them inside out and watch them grow as children, teenagers and then adults. It is written from the perspective of Maddy and Ben, this helps us to see the emotion and feelings behind both characters and how much their friendship means to one another. although we don't get Rob's thought's this doesn't make him any less part of the novel as he is included in both Maddy and Ben's 'story's' in a way that we get to learn exactly who he is.

The storyline was simple but written so beautifully, I loved that nothing in this book was unrealistic, everything that happens is common when growing up, such as, friendship, love and heartbreak. I felt every single moment and every emotion with Maddy and Ben as if it was me that it was happening to. Every emotion that you could possibly feel you will whilst reading this book.

This is by far the best book I have read this year and I cannot wait to see what Giovanna brings us next, if her first two books are anything to go by she has a great career ahead of her! I recommend this book to anybody, it is chic-lit at it's finest and I almost cried turning the last page because it was over. I still can't decide if I'm Team Ben or Team Rob though!



My review of Giovanna's debut novel Billy and Me can be read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment